Tuesday, September 24, 2013

September 24

JOURNAL TOPIC: ["Bad Reputation" by Joan Jett; "Strength, Courage & Wisdom" by India Arie]

Former UCLA basketball coach John Wooden observed, "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."  Briefly describe your character and your reputation.  What similarities & differences do you see between the two?

AGENDA:
1. Journal
2. Evolution & adaptation
3. A moment in Time (Investment Portfolios)
4. Efficiency vs. effectiveness
5. Discuss Prologue to Canterbury Tales
6. You are such a character!

HW:
1. Create Netvibes dashboard, set as browser launch page, and describe in a post to your blog
2. In a post to your blog entitled CHARACTER STUDY (I), use in/direct characterization to write yourself as a fictional character preparing to embark upon a journey.
3. In a post to your blog entitled CANTERBURY TALES (I), list any observations about the Prologue.  These may include questions, vocabulary, predictions, literary techniques, and quotes/elements that you found especially effective or memorable.  *Which character's story do you most want to read?
3. Vocab (as always)
4. Lit analysis reading (as always)

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of Netvibes I'm using Symbaloo because, and this may be a result of my being accustomed to apps, I prefer the links being organized icons rather than 'articles'. I found it much easier to bookmark websites I commonly use on Symbaloo; maybe this is because I'm technologically not understanding how to simply add the general website onto Netvibes. Also, Symbaloo is more visually appealing in the sense that the tiles stand out more, when compared to a catalog of feeds from the sites I want to open in a different tab. This dashboard is, in my point of view, simpler and easier to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a compelling case. I'm going to have a look at symbaloo. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. It struck me that nobody posted the differences between a prologue and a preface; so I'm going to give it a shot.
    A prologue sets up the story by introducing the characters, describing the setting, etc...
    A preface tells us why the author chose to write the story.

    ReplyDelete